The definition of marketing has been hijacked. It’s not just about building relationships or getting to know your customer — blah blah blah.
The end goal always has, and always will be sales.
Rules to guarantee a return:
- Don’t pay influencers or ad agencies upfront. Pay them as a revenuem share for the sales they drive.
- Don’t set a large budget to start. Always start small and double down on the channels that are working.
- Don’t spend $5,000 on a logo when you’ve not proven your product concept first.
- A coupon code is for proof, not just for discounts. You can track successful sales by using coupon codes. It’s your most powerful weapon.
- Don’t blindly copy tactics. What works for other businesses isn’t guaranteed for yours. A customer referral scheme is great for teeth whitening, but not so much for erectile dysfunction meds.
- Don’t buy your own hype and keep inventory in check. What people say they like, and what they’re willing to buy are two different things.
- Don’t equate views to sales. The goal isn’t to pay for 10,000 sets of eyes, it’s to attract real, paying customers.
- Be ruthless about ditching what failed to generate sales.